Contrary to popular belief, email isn’t dead. It’s been known to generate up to $42 for every $1 spent. That’s umm, potentially a 4,200% ROI, making it one of most overlooked channels, according to Litmus.
Since it’s the new year, we’ve put together our top-10 list of email marketing mishaps to gauge if you need an email marketing consultant or not.
1. Your email domain isn’t connected.
2. Your emails aren’t segmented and/or tailored content to user preferences.
3. Your emails are novels. Emails should be shorter and should take less than a minute to read.
4. Your email readability sucks. Be nice to the people who open your emails on their phones.
5. Your emails are image-only. TL;DR: Pretty doesn’t always perform. We see this in B2C allll the time. It breaks our marketing hearts. While image-only emails may look attractive...
6. You’re not following image best practices. And we’re not talking about how you look or what people think. We’re not saying don’t use images -- it’s more that the images in your email need to be chosen carefully.
7. You’re not using bulletproof CTA (call to action) buttons.
8. You're monitoring the wrong (ahem, vanity) metrics.
9. You’re spending too much time building one-off emails. If you’re not using modular email templates and/or automations, now’s the time.
10. Implement A/B testing the right way. And make sure your tests have statistical significance.
If you’re not making any of these mistakes, then congrats, we award you a gold star. But if you are, the time to refresh your strategy is now. Creating a profitable email program requires expertise and dedication to do well. If you need help, holler. We know some peeps.